Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Writing"

When
Dust bunnies are sleeping
Safely under the refrigerator
I write

Fighting urges of pretension
Meter rhyme
Or classical reference

Tasking myself to steal
Moments from
My day

By writing
Preserving
In Mason jars
Amber beads strung on
Kite string thoughts

Questing for lines
Of images strong

The sun was Orange
Not like an Orange

Salt spray hung in the air
Not saline diamonds hanging

Striving to
Contending with
Constantly battling
Myself against complicated impulses

Keep it simple
Using my erasure
Cut and cut
Pare it down

Poetry is flow

Hoping to not box
Oneself in to corners or
Cul-de-sacs

Balancing it all
Knife edge up
Gleaming

That’s the trick
Slow lingering note fading away
To silence

Should I?

Alert my readers the end
Is nigh with
Maestro Salieri’s cue to
Clap

These are my dilemmas
When dust bunnies
Sleep safely
Underneath my
Refrigerator

You may clap now…

-Fin-

DS Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment